Home of 100% Kona Coffee, Estate grown and custom-roasted for you.
BUYING, BREWING & STORAGE TIPS
BUYING & STORAGE
- Never buy pesticide grown coffee - it really can linger in the flavor.
- Always buy whole bean coffee. The moment it is ground the flavor oils begin to dry out. Buy whole bean and grind it when you need it.
- Don't buy vacuum-packed coffee. Fresh-roasted coffee releases gases, so to vacuum pack it they must let it sit around until it has finished out-gassing. Buy coffee in air-lock valve packages which allow gases out, but do not allow air in.
- Store unopened packages of coffee in the freezer. This slows the rate at which the flavor oils evaporate. Dont store them in the refrigerator, it is not cold enough, and your coffee can take on aromas and flavors from the other foods there. Allow frozen beans to come to room temperature before grinding, or they will shatter instead of becoming ground properly.
- Store your opened packages away from light in a cool, dry cupboard or pantry. If you buy from Dragon's Lair, our zip-lock one-way valve bags will keep your opened coffee fresh for a month. If your bag is not like this, then store the beans in an airtight jar.
- Grind your beans immediately before use.
You need a different grind for different brewing methods. A drip brewer needs coffee ground to about the consistency of granulated sugar. A French Press needs a much coarser grind; espresso makers require a powder fine grind. Shake the grinder while grinding to get a uniform grind.
- Use good-tasting water!
If your local water has a pronounced taste, then that will be in your coffee too. In this case, use bottled or filtered water. Do NOT use distilled or softened water.
- How much coffee to use?
This depeneds on personal preference, but start with 1 heaping tablespoon of ground coffee to each 6 ounces of water, and then adjust for your taste.
- Separate your coffee from the grounds as soon as it is brewed
(four minutes optimum, six minutes maximum). If using a French Press, serve immediately it is brewed or it may become bitter. If using a drip system, pour the coffee into a thermos serving jug; don't let it sit on a warming plate or it will start to lose flavor.
How to Order Our Kona Coffee | Return to Main Page
Dragon's Lair Farm
84-4987 Mamalahoa Hwy, Captain Cook HI 96704